LAM - Mozambique Airlines was founded in 1936 as DETA, a division of the Ports and Railways services. After independence, by Decree 8/80 of 19th November 1980, DETA was changed to LAM - Mozambique Airlines.
LAM was transformed into a Limited Company, adopting the denomination of LAM - Mozambique Airlines by Decree no. 69/98 of 23rd December 1998.
The State holds 91% of the shares of the new company and managers, technicians and LAM workers hold the remaining 9% of the shares.
A Limited Company incorporated by statute in Mozambique was formed at the end of 1999.
The Board of Directors is made up by the:
- Chairman, Dr. Teodoro Waty;
- Chief Executive Officer, Dra. Marlene Manave;
- Capitain João Abreu, LAM's Administrator of Operations;
- Dr. Jeremias Tchamo, the Financial Administrator of LAM and;
- Dr. Paulo Negrão, the Workers Representative Administrator;
- Dr.ª Graça Fumo, Non-Executive Administrator;
- Dr. Carlos Fumo, Non-Executive Administrator.
LAM’s head office is in Maputo. It presently employs 695 workers and has offices, or other forms of representation within the country and abroad. It has administrative and financial autonomy.