Baggage - General
A passenger's baggage consists of personal articles and belongings transported by the passenger during travel. There are two categories of baggage:
a. Cabin Baggage (or hand baggage)
b. Checked baggage
Passengers who want to carry baggage of unusual dimensions should make arrangements at the time of their reservation in order to facilitate the proper handling. In such cases, the reservations offices will coordinate the acceptance of excess baggage and freight.
Each piece of baggage should display the passenger's name and address prior to acceptance. Self-adhesive name and address labels are available at LAM’s ticketing and check-in counters.
All baggage must be properly packed into suitcases or similar containers in order to allow safe and efficient handling. Please be sure that baggage is rigid and resistant enough to be unaffected by normal handling.
Baggage may only consist of such articles, effects and other property as those necessary or appropriate for the passenger's personal use, comfort or convenience. Carriage of dangerous, fragile or unsuitable items of baggage is subject to special regulations. These items are:
- Live animals
- Firearms and ammunitions
- Dangerous goods
- Golf equipment
- Liquids (exception made for duly packed demijohns), acceptable as cabin baggage only
- Flashbulbs accepted as baggage if packed in the manufacturer's original packing
- Bicycles are usually carried as air cargo. Transporting as baggage is subject to removal of the wheels, which must be fastened to the frame of the bicycle and tires must be emptied of air.
- Electronic devices, such as cellular phones, radio receivers and transmitters, television sets, compact disc players, video cameras and playback units, portable computers, remote control toys, devices using light emitting diode displays, etc. Their operation is prohibited onboard because they may interfere with the aircraft's electronic navigation and communication equipment. However, the use of portable recorders, hearing aids, heart pacemakers, calculators and electronic games is permitted, always subject to in-fight crew approval.
- Diplomatic mail pouches
- Fragile and/or bulky baggage
Note 1: Travel documents, medical certificates, X-rays, etc., as well as fragile or perishable articles, and valuables (money, silverware, documents, etc.) shall not be accepted as checked baggage. Such articles shall be included in the cabin baggage.
Note 2: The carrier has the right, but not the obligation, to check in the presence of the passenger, the contents of his baggage (diplomatic mail pouches excluded). However, local authority presence is mandatory.