Checked baggage is passenger baggage transported at the responsibility of LAM. After accepted at check-in, all baggage, previously at the passenger's disposal, is tagged and loaded into the aircraft holds.
Two baggage allowance categories may be applicable:
- Weight concept
- Piece concept - used mainly on flights in/out of Brazil, Canada and USA.
LAM, as an International Airline, adopts the weight concept system, as follows:
- First class = 40 kg
- Executive class = 30 kg
- Economy class = 20 kg
Free baggage allowance for children (CHD) is the same as for adults.
Free baggage allowance for infants (INF) is10 kg plus one checked or carry-on fully collapsible stroller/pushchair, or an infant carrying basket or car seat.
- Flamingo Club Classic (Blue Card) – Same as Sliver Card
- Flamingo Club Plus (Silver Card) passengers have 10 and 15 kg extra allowance, regardless which class they are traveling in
- Shipping Crew / Seaman Regulation
Note: LAM has the right to refuse transportation of baggage exceeding the normal allowance.
Baggage in "pool"-when 2 or more passengers are both flying to the same final destination, and arrive at the check-in together, they can combine their free baggage allowances and divide it amongst each other as needed. The free applicable baggage allowance depends on the class fare paid and never on the actual class of travel.
LAM does not use the "piece concept” system when passengers are transferring to flights where the destination is within a country where the piece concept applies. In these cases, the free baggage allowance is:
- F/C classes: 2 pieces not exceeding a total of 158 cm (sum of 3 dimensions: length + width + height) as well as 32 kg per unit.
- Y class: 2 pieces not exceeding a total of 158 cm (sum of three dimensions: length + width + height) as well as 32 kg per unit, considering the sum of the 2 pieces also not exceeding 273 cm.
In case baggage volume (e.g. courier baggage, musical instruments, athletic equipment, etc) is exceeded, please note that:
- Each piece of baggage must be weighed individually
- Each piece of baggage must display its own weigh slip
- Baggage must be dispatched to the aircraft on separate carts
- Previous notice from reservation department is required
Shipping Crew / Seaman Regulation
This regulation specifies general conditions which apply to interline carriage and IATA fares.
Note: Special agreements that may be entered by DC (Direcção Comercial) will be sent separately and shall override general rules and conditions stated herein.
Same as the applicable First Class allowance.
Seamen employed on board a ship belonging to the Merchant Marine of a country are eligible as well as a spouse and children between 12 and 21 years old, when duly certified by a competent authority.
Special allowances for groups
Please check with LAM for more details.
When the total weight of the baggage is above the free allowance, excess baggage must be charged between the passenger's point of departure and final station. Whenever the "piece concept" applies, excess baggage shall be charged according to the number and/or dimensions of the packages.
All items of baggage, other than normal baggage, consisting of personal items and belongings, for the passenger to wear or use for their own comfort or convenience during the trip, are considered as special baggage and specific rules apply.